Project Design process

Initial Sketching & Ideation

Like most every user experience design project, we kicked off with some initial ideation and sketching.

Persona creation

Once we had a decided on the area of the app that we wanted to redesign we then started working on our personas. We kicked this process off with a Google hangout. The hangout was very  beneficial as it allowed us to share insights that had found when we did our own desk research for marking segmentation and customer demo graph.  It also allowed us to decide ahead of class the next day the direction our personas were going to be in and so that we were all on the same page when we were creating individual personas the following week.

You can read the full process behind our personas here

User scenario

You can read about our user scenario creation here

Storyboarding

Storyboarding played a big role in our project. Storyboarding allow us to quickly map out each step in our app without being concerned with fine details and cutting out paper for the prototypes.  Another huge benefit of storyboarding over creating full paper prototype is that it allowed us to explore new features such as ‘account creation’ or ‘share room’ in isolation and we could then easily discuss whether it was going to be part of our prototype.

Below our some early stage sketches that I did in tandem with Fran’s scenario creation.

 

Group Brainstorming

We began the project as a team with brainstorming some initial ideas of for our Ikea prototype. Here were some ideas we came up with

screenshot-2016-10-10-22-10-25

  • 360 VR for Ikea room
  • A chatbot that would allow you to search for items, buy furniture or suggest furniture depending on the users sizing, and price requirements.
  • Ikea navigation re-design

Card Sorting

We used a card sorting method to evaluation our first prototype iteration, it’s features and all the other additional features that we wanted to explore. Card sorting was a hugely effective exercise as it allowed us to asses the entire prototype at a macro level and we could determine the most important features and change the user flow and information architecture where necessary.

 

Mindmapping

Mind mapping was a technique that used when I was doing initial research myself. It was basically of way of generating ideas for the design phase.

 

Storyboarding of new features

Since we had some many additional ideas for the our app we wanted to explore who they could look without have to do the time task of making a prototype out of them. We used a storyboard type technique so we could quickly.

 

Usability Testing

User testing was central to our design process. We had three opportunities to test our prototype iterations. In week 1 over a weekend where we all met and made our first complete prototype. Fran’s wife kindly tested our prototype which proved hugely valuable.  We carried out another testing session with a member of the class and that also proved to be very beneficial.

File_006.jpeg
Fran’s wife participating in our first prototype test
IMG_8004.JPG
David testing our third iteration of our prototype
Advertisements